Permit Types for Motor Vehicles in India.

The licenses issued for motor vehicles driving on Indian roads are classified according to the kind of vehicle. In terms of permits, there are two types of vehicles: cargo vehicles and passenger vehicles. This article will go through the permits that are available for the two types of cars in detail.

Permits for Goods Vehicles are now available.

The following are the many sorts of permits available for a goods vehicle:

  1. Permits for goods carriers:
  2. A goods carrier permit can be obtained by the owner of a goods vehicle under Section 79 of the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988 if the vehicle is in use inside the state. This permission is only valid in a certain area of the state.

  3. Goods Carrier Permit Counter Signatures:

  4. Goods Countersignatures Carrier permits are issued in one state and are valid in another if approved by the state regional transportation authority in that state. Since January 5, 2006, countersignatures of goods carrier licences will not be provided to goods vehicles registered in another state and having a gross weight of up to 7500 kg if they are not running on clean fuel under Section 88 of the Motor Vehicle Act, 1988 in Delhi.

  5. National permits:
  6. A national permit is issued to a goods vehicle that needs to travel outside of its home state. According to rules 86 and 87 of the Central Motor Vehicles Rule, 1989, a national permit is given for at least four states, including the home state. The age of a goods vehicle should not be more than 12 years, and the age of a multi-axle vehicle should not be more than 15 years, to get a national permit. To apply for a national permit for a goods vehicle, the applicant must complete Form 46 and Form 48 .

Permits for passenger cars are available.

The following are the many sorts of permits available for a passenger vehicle:

  1. Auto Rickshaw and Taxi Permits:

  2. MLO Burari issues Auto Rickshaw and Taxi Permits to auto rickshaws and taxis in the Delhi area. The charge levied by these vehicles is computed using a meter installed on the vehicle. The following are the auto rickshaw and taxi fares:

    • Auto Rickshaw - The first 1.5 kilometers are charged at Rs.25, and subsequent kilometers are charged at Rs.8-Rs.9.5 per kilometer.
    • Taxi - The first kilometer costs Rs.10, and each subsequent kilometer costs Rs.5.
  3. Phat Phat sewa:
  4. A Phat Phat sewa license was once provided to three-wheeled motor vehicles equipped with Harley-Davidson engines. Phat Phat sewa licences are now provided to vehicles that travel on a set route and have a maximum capacity of 10 passengers, including the driver. The STA determines the fares.

  5. Eco friendly sewa:
  6. Vehicles with three wheels and a battery are eligible for the eco-friendly sewa permit. These cars can accommodate up to 11 people, including the driver.

Permits for Contract Carriage Buses:

A Contract Carriage Bus Permits (Chartered Buses) are the most prevalent form of permits given for rental and reward purposes. A contract is made between the permit holder and the vehicle operator, allowing the bus to be driven from one site to another along a predetermined route. The list of people travelling in the chartered bus should be available to the bus driver. The driver is not permitted to transport any passengers other than those named on the list on the hired bus. Permits for Contract Carriage Buses (Chartered Buses) are given under Section 74 of the Motor Vehicles Act of 1988. A person who applied for this permission using the PCA form.

Stage carriage permissions:

The Delhi government issues stage carriage licenses to buses that pick up passengers on various routes across the city. This category includes both DTC buses and private buses. Stage carrying licences are given in accordance with Section 70 of the Motor Vehicles Act of 1988. STA sets the fares.

The prices are as follows:

Fee levied



Up to 4 Kilometers


From 4 to 8 Kilometers


From 8 to 12 Kilometers


From 12 to 16 Kilometers and above

Temporary permits:

Temporary permits are provided to cars under Section 87 of the Motor Vehicles Act of 1988. It permits the car to run for a short time outside of Delhi.

The following are the situations under which a vehicle is awarded a temporary permit:

  • If the vehicle is leaving the city and transporting passengers to a religious event or conference.
  • If the vehicle is travelling outside of the city for seasonal business.
  • If the vehicle is travelling outside of the city in order for a person to apply for a permit renewal or to resolve a pending decision.

The following conditions must be satisfied in order to receive a motor cab permit:

  • It should have a seating capacity of five.
  • The applicant for this permission should have an office with a phone in a convenient place where passengers may book it.
  • The applicant must have sufficient funds to purchase the vehicle for which he or she is requesting for a permit. In addition, the applicant should have enough parking space for automobiles.

Permits for renting a cab:

In 1989, the rent-a-cab service was introduced in India.

The applicant must meet the following conditions in order to get a Rent a Cab permit:

  • The candidate must have a phone that is operational 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
  • The application should have enough parking.
  • The applicant should have previous expertise in the transportation and passenger sector.
  • The applicant must possess at least 50 taxis, with at least half of them being air-conditioned.
  • The applicant pays the passenger tax in the state of operation.

Institution/School Buses:

Under the Societies Act of 1960, vehicles held by educational institutions are granted Institution/School Buses licenses. The automobiles are golden yellow in hue and are free from road tax.

All India Tourist Permit (AITP):

The following conditions must be completed for a vehicle to get an All India Tourist Permit (AITP):

  • If the vehicle is a bus, it should be a luxury bus painted white.
  • It should have a blue ribbon 5 cm wide put in the center of the exterior of the bus's body.
  • The term 'Tourist' will be printed on both sides of the car.

The national permit for a vehicle expires 9 years from the date of issuing for a motor cab and 8 years for any other vehicle. No renewal is necessary if the motor vehicle is replaced with another vehicle that is less than two years old. It is also necessary for the vehicle to include a public speaker system, drinking water, complete rear seats, fans, curtains, a separate driver cabin, and so on.

You might also like