Documents Required to Sell Your Vehicle.

Selling your automobile becomes more easier and less stressful if the documentation is correct and full. It is critical that you as a seller have all of the necessary documents to sell a car. This spares you from future problems, and more significantly, when you apply to transfer ownership, the comprehensive documentation will help you sail through the procedure with ease.

  1. Registration Certificate (RC):
  2. The RC of a car, as the name implies, confirms that it is registered in your name and that you are the legal owner of the vehicle. The RC is necessary for the sale of any vehicle covered by the Motor Vehicles Act of 1988 , not only the automobile. You must have an RC of your vehicle that is free of any misprints or defects, since any inconsistency in the RC would hinder the ownership transfer procedure. If you have lost or stolen your RC, you must file a First Information Report (FIR) with the local police station and request for a replacement RC by filling out Form 26 .

  3. Valid Insurance Certificate:
  4. To sell your automobile, you must have a valid insurance certificate. You won't be allowed to sell your automobile to a new buyer if you don't have proper insurance. If your car's insurance has expired, you should renew it before selling it. Without insurance, your car's resale value would suffer greatly, and you will be unable to request for ownership transfer to the RTO. If you don't want to spend much money on new or renewed insurance, you may choose for a third-party coverage, which will at least remove the legal impediment to selling your automobile.

  5. Pollution Under Control (PUC) certificate:
  6. A PUC certificate is another obligatory document required for the transaction. It confirms that the car's emission levels are well within the limitations set by regulatory authorities under legal restrictions. There are differing emission restrictions for gasoline, diesel, and compressed natural gas cars. however, battery-powered vehicles are excluded from the emission test.

    You may simply obtain a PUC certificate because most gas stations offer an emission-checking facility. The cost of acquiring PUC is also relatively low, ranging between Rs 60 and Rs 100 depending on the kind and capacity of the vehicle.

  7. Self-attested PAN Card (1 copy):
  8. When selling your automobile to a buyer, you must provide a self-attested copy of your pan card. If you do not have the PAN card, you can complete the selling procedure by providing a copy of Form 60 .

  9. Address Proof (1 Copy):
  10. The majority of states need you to provide a self-attested copy of your address proof. You can use any of the following papers as legal proof of address and present them to the authorities:

    • The Aadhar card
    • Passport
    • Voter identification card
    • Rationing card

    Any other document issued by the Indian government

    Documents such as an electricity bill or a lease agreement are also accepted as legitimate address verification in some states. Please keep in mind that not all states/cities need you to provide address verification when selling a car. for example, in Mumbai, you can transfer ownership without giving any address proof.

  11. Two copies of self-attested photographs:
  12. To transfer ownership of an automobile, you must have at least two self-attested pictures, which must be attached to the transfer documents and submitted to the RTO.

  13. Form 28 (3 copies):
  14. Form 28 is also known as a no-objection certificate since it confirms that the registration authority (with which the automobile is registered) has no objections to the sale of your car to the buyer. It also implies that you have no outstanding liabilities against the car and may sell it without any legal snags.

    You will need three copies of Form 28, which you may get here Form 28 or receive from the RTO. Once you have the form 28, you must pencil imprint your car's chassis number on all three papers before submitting them to the RTO with an application for RC transfer.

  15. Form 29 (two copies):
  16. Form 29 is used to notify the RTO that your car has been sold to the buyer. It is proof that all necessary documentation for the sale of the vehicle have been delivered to the buyer. To complete the sales process, you must submit this Form 29 to the RTO office along with the required fee.

  17. Form 30 (Two Copies):
  18. It is your job as a seller to request that the RTO transfer ownership of the automobile to the new buyer after informing the RTO that the car has been sold using Form 29 . This is accomplished by completing Form 30 , which certifies that all legal and financial duties associated with automobiles have been transferred to the new buyer. Once the RC transfer is completed and both the seller and the buyer sign the sales declaration signed by a public notary, the new buyer becomes accountable for any obligations associated with the vehicle.

    In addition to these required paperwork, there are several alternative items that you can give to the new buyer. These include duplicate keys, the owner's manual, the car's service history and maintenance record, the original purchase invoice, and so on. Remember that these are optional, and there is no legal requirement that you offer them when selling your automobile.

To summaries, the obligatory paperwork required to sell your automobile may be divided into three categories, which will allow you to comprehend things more clearly and intuitively.

Documents Classification :

  1. Car-related Documents
    • Registration Certificate (RC)
    • Insurance
    • Pollution Under Control
  2. Person's Documents
    • Permanent Account Number (PAN) card
    • Address Proof
    • Self-attested Photographs
    • Sales Affidavit
  3. RTO-issued Documents
  4. You may simply sell your automobile if you have all of the required documentation with you.

You might also like